The legislator explicitly provides for a number of categories that are exempt from kilometer charges. Only the following vehicles are concerned:
- Vehicles used exclusively by the army, civil defense, fire department and police which are recognizable as such.
- Vehicles especially and exclusively equipped for medical purposes and recognizable as such.
- Vehicles of the agricultural, horticultural or forestry type using public roads in Belgium in a limited way and used exclusively for agriculture, horticulture, fish farming and forestry.
All other vehicles are NOT eligible for an exemption.
The owners of a vehicle of over 3.5 tons that falls into one of the exemption categories, must submit an application for exemption to the region where their vehicle is registered. To make such a request it is necessary to fill out a form and add a picture with front view and with side view of the vehicle. To do so you should go to the website of your region:
For the Flemish Region:
For the Brussels Region:
- fiscaliteit.brussels/kilometerheffing-voor-vrachtwagens-2016 (NL)
- fiscaliteit.brussels/prelevement-kilometrique-pour-les-poids-lourds-2016 (FR)
For the Walloon Region:
- Fill out the form on https://www.exemption.sofico.org/stark-exoneration. You will need a scan of your registration documents
Send an e-mail with the details of your vehicle (license plate number, GVW, Euro norm) and picture of front and side view to email@example.com.