Exemptions / Out of scope

The categories of vehicles that are exempted or fall outside the scope of the Kilometer Charge are strictly limited. There is a clear difference between  an exemption and an out-of-scope case.

Exempted vehicles must mandatory as for such an exemption and get a positive reply. Vehicles that fall outside the scope of the toll charge may optionally apply for a permission when they think they meet  the conditions mentioned in the left column.

Request for exemption

Certain categories of vehicles are exempted from Road Charging.They concern only the following categories:

  • Vehicles used exclusively by the army, civil defense, fire department and police which are recognizable as such.
  • Vehicles especially and exclusively equipped for medical purposes and recognizable as such.
  • Vehicles of the agricultural, horticultural or forestry type using public roads in Belgium in a limited way and used exclusively for agriculture, horticulture, fish farming and forestry.

The owners of a vehicle of over 3.5 tons that falls into one of the exemption categories, must submit an application for exemption to the region where their vehicle is registered. To make such a request it is necessary to fill out a form and add a picture with front view and with side view of the vehicle. To do so you should go to the website of your region:

For the Flemish Region:

For the Brussels Region:

For the Walloon Region:

For foreign vehicles:

If your vehicle is registered abroad:

Or send an email (not for vehicles vehicle of agricultural, horticultural or forestry type) with the details of your vehicle (license plate number, GVW, Euro norm) and picture of front and side view to exemptions@viapass.be.

Vehicles that fall outside the scope of the kilometer charge :

Certain categories of vehicles fall outside the scope of the toll charge.

– Some machine-vehicles to the extent that they do not transport goods, such as:

  • cranes
  • telehandlers / lifts
  • excavators
  • bulldozers
  • concrete pumps without mixer
  • Dumpers

– Other vehicles such as:

  • vehicles with a test drive license plate type ZZ, ZY and ZX, solely used according to the terms of the Royal Decree of January 8, 1996 on the rules on the registration of commercial number plates for motor vehicles and trailers.
  • Oldtimer vehicles with an O-license plate used only under the terms of article 2, 7 ° of the Royal Decree of March 15, 1968 relating to the technical conditions of vehicles.
  • training vehicles insofar they meet the following conditions:
    • they have dual controls in the cabin
    • they carry no goods (except for educational purposes, such as f.i. concrete blocks)
    • they are externally recognizable by the name “drivers school” on the cabin
    • they are registered in the name of a drivers school or a social fund for Transportation and Logistics

Optional notifications of aforementioned vehicles which fall outside the kilometer charge can be send to the tax authorities of the regions where they are registered or to Viapass for foreign truck owners. In addition, you will need to attach the contact details of the applicant, together with a photograph and the license plate of the vehicle.

Click the icon hereunder to enlarge the table. (can also be downloaded through the download section )