Trucks are the engine of economy. They play a crucial role in the logistics since they are a rather cheap means of transport which can bring the good up to the last mile to the shops.

However, all commercial traffic comes at a price. HGVs and other vehicles are causing a lot of wear and tear to road infrastructure. There are negative effects on the environment, such as noise and air pollution. That is why the three regions in Belgium- Flanders, Wallonia and Brussels- have decided to reform the traffic tax. As of now the actual use of a truck will be taxed, rather than the mere possession of it. A kilometre toll will enable to charge in a fair way the infrastructure costs, as well as the environment  costs.

Whom is it meant for?

The kilometer charge took effect on  April 1st 2016 for Heavy Goods Vehicles of more than  3.5 tons Gross Vehicle Weight and for vehicles of class N1/BC. 

What is the cost?

The tariffs of the toll roads have been fixed by the governments of the regions, and are to be found in the ‘download’ section of this website. The tariffs have been fixed on the basis of three parameters:

  • The Gross Vehicle Weight: the kilometer charge is due for trucks of more than 3.5 GVW. When the pulling vehicle has a GVW of more than 3.5 tons, the Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) needs to be declared (trailer included when the truck is equipped with a towbar)
  • The Euro emission norm: this is the emission norm that categorizes the level of pollution of the truck.
  • The type of toll road: all roads in Belgium are toll roads. Most of them are charged at 0-tariff. Other have a paying tariff. The toll road maps and the tariffs are to be found at the ‘download’ section of this website.

What do I need to do to comply with the regulation?

When you have a truck of more than 3,5 tons GVW, you must have an On Board Unit (OBU) onboard, that is constantly switched on when you take the road in Belgium. A OBU is a small device that registers the number of kilometres you have driven on toll roads. It sends the total to the billing center which proved you at regular times with a detailed bill.

Where can I get such an On Board Unit?

The OBU can be ordered at the service providers of the Kilometre Charge.

Contact one of the service providers:




Total Marketing Services



Either through one of the 128 distribution points located all over Belgium. The map with the exact locations is to be found at

What does an OBU cost?

The use of the OBU is fo free. To get a device at Satellic you have to pay a caution of 135€. By returning the device in undamaged shape, you will get a full refund. 

At Axxès; the use of the OBU is included in the subscription fee: either 'à la carte' for sporadic use, or on a monthly fixed basis for regular use.


Only a very limited number of categories are exempted from the Kilometre Charge.

  • Vehicles of the army, the fire brigade, the civil protection and ambulances
  • Tractors, solely used for agriculture, forestry, horticulture and aquaculture

Request for exemption

Certain categories of vehicles are exempted from Road Charging:

  • Vehicles used exclusively by the army, civil defense, fire department and police which are recognizable as such.
  • Vehicles especially and exclusively equipped for medical purposes and recognizable as such.
  • Vehicles of the agricultural, horticultural or forestry type using public roads in Belgium in a limited  way and used exclusively for agriculture, horticulture, fish farming and forestry.

The owners of a vehicle of over 3.5 tons that falls into one of the exemption categories, must submit an application to the region where their vehicle is registered. To make such a request it is necessary to fill out a form and add a picture  with front view and with side view of the vehicle. To do so you should go to the website of your region:

For the Flemish Region:

For the Brussels Region:

For the Walloon Region:

For foreigners:

If your vehicle is registered abroad:

Or send an email (not for vehicles vehicle of agricultural, horticultural or forestry type) with the details of your vehicle (license plate number, GVW, Euro norm) and  picture of front and side view to 

Vehicles that fall outside the scope of the kilometer chage

The following vehicles are out of scope of the Road Charging:

- Some machine-vehicles to the extent that they do not transport goods,  such as:

  • cranes
  • telehandlers / lifts
  • excavators
  • bulldozers
  • concrete pumps without mixer
  • Dumpers

- Other vehicles such as:

  • vehicles with a test drive license plate type ZZ, solely used according to the terms of the Royal Decree of January 8, 1996 on the rules on the registration of commercial number plates for motor vehicles and trailers.
  • Oldtimer vehicles with an O-license plate used only under the terms of article 2, 7 ° of the Royal Decree of March 15, 1968 relating to the technical conditions of vehicles.
  • training vehicles insofar they meet the following conditions:
    • they have dual controls in the cabin
    • they carry no goods (except for educational purposes, such as concrete blocks)
    • they are externally recognizable by the name "drivers school" on the cabin
    • they are registered in the name of a drivers school or a social fund for Transportation and Logistics

Optional notifications of aforementioned vehicles which fall outside the kilometer charge can be send to the tax authorities of the regions where they are registered or to Viapass for foreign truck owners. In addition, you will  need to attach the contact details of the applicant, together with a photograph and the license plate of the vehicle.